How secure document disposal protects your business
Protect your valuable data swiftly and professionally by using a secure document disposal service.
Why do you need document disposal?
The first thing to ask yourself is why would you chance data security? With so many reports of customer data being compromised via hackers, it is good business sense to have a clear strategy in relation to document disposal.
With most businesses dealing with personal data in some fashion, it means GDPR applies to almost all businesses. This is regardless of size or number of employees.
You can promote your data protection efforts by letting customers know you have employed a professional shredding company to handle document disposal. This helps cement trust and proves that you take the security of their data seriously.
What action can you take?
Firstly, it’s a good idea to have a policy for how you manage your company data. Make this part of an employee role so it’s clear who oversees this particular aspect of your business. It may not seem like an important job, but it’s vital in relation to GDPR.
- Think about the various ways in which you store data; both physical and electronic.
- Have a data retention policy. Consider the length of time you need to keep data and destroy when it’s no longer needed.
- Where do you store data? Is physical data stored off-site? Is electronic data backed up. Is this data easily accessible?
How to use document disposal
When you do need to use a document disposal company, here’s what to consider:
- Whether you would prefer an on-site shredding truck to shred on the premises or whether off-site shredding would be preferable.
- Quantity of material to be shredded? This will determine whether you need a shredding console, wheelie bin or sack to store confidential data before collection
- The frequency of collections. Consider weekly, monthly, quarterly or one-off collections for those serious clear outs, or removal of archive.
All these factors determine the cost of the service.
If you would like more information on how secure document disposal can protect and benefit your business, then give the experts at The Shredding Alliance a call for a quote.